Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What I Want/What I Get

Ever notice that what you want and what you get are usually two very different things?
For instance:
At 6:00 am I want to roll over and go back to sleep- I get to get out of a warm bed and go to work.
I want to be 5' 6" tall with legs that don't stop- I get to be 4'11" with hardly any legs.
I want all my children and grandchildren to live within 5 miles of me- I get to drive over 500 miles to see some of them.
I want a million dollars- I get a paycheck twice a week.
I want to be able to sing- I get a voice that would scare a cat to death!
I want to live where it's warm and sunny all the time-I get to live in Wisconsin!
I want to be young and full of energy- I get to be old and tired(most days).
I want to be able to drink like I used to and not get a hangover- I get to drink 3 drinks if I'm lucky and then I'm done.
I want to remember everything that happens- I get to remember what happened in the last week if I'm lucky (and write it down on a post-it note)
I want the work week to be 2 days and the weekends to be 5- I get the opposite.
I want really great kids and grand kids and the love of a wonderful man- oh wait I get that.
Guess sometimes you do get what you want. My mom always had this wonderful saying she used to tell us when we were kids and we wanted something we didn't have. It went like this: "If wishes were horses we'd all have a ride."

2 comments:

Carrin said...

I heard about this want/get thing on the radio. I was gonna post about it tomorrow. I guess you beat me to it.

Sheri and George said...

See you wanted to do it but I got to do it