Monday, August 4, 2008

Growing

A few months ago, George took a shovel to the earth in the garden, turned over the dirt a few times then used the tiller to work it all up. We planted some seeds( some more than once thanks to the birds and rabbits) and Viola.... we have produce! There was a lot of weeding in there this year though for some reason. Seems like the weeds were bigger and meaner this year but we got them under control and eventually they were gone. It started with lettuce, which we love by the way and so does my mother in law Mary who comes down and snitches some once in a while. The next thing I knew, George was making loaf after loaf of Zucchini bread and filling my freezing faster than I could say "no way". (I don't like zucchini by the way). Today George brought me cucumbers and carrots. I looked and there are jalapeno peppers, green peppers, onions and tomatoes just about ready. Three of the six cabbages will soon be ready to harvest with the other three right behind them. About the time I go back to school, it will be time to make salsa and freeze vegetables.

We do this every year and every year I tell myself we are going to cut back on the size of the garden and the amount of things we grow. We never do. The stuff we freeze and can, tastes so wonderful in the middle of winter that by the time we get ready to plant the garden the next spring I forget what I had said the year before. So as I look out the back window and see all the beautiful green plants in our garden and watch George water it, I am reminded why we do this year after year, after year, after year....... Oh sorry, I wondered there for a minute.

If you don't have the yard space for a garden, you can always grow a tomato plant or a pepper plant in a flower pot. Do whatever you have to do to have fresh vegetables cause there's nothing better.

1 comment:

Carrin said...

Don't forget to bring some down for me!