Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Cookies

One of the things I like about this time of year are the cookies and candies being spread around.

One of the things I hate about this time of year are the LBs being spread around my hips and ass because of the cookies and candies!

This weekend it is baking time for me. My kitchen is turned into a baking machine and usually ends up covered in flour from one end to the other!
I have always loved to make all different kinds of cookies for Christmas.
There are Snickerdoodles, Peanut Blossoms, Spritz, Chocolate Crinkles, Gingersnaps, Peanut butter Balls, Almond Cookies and of course what is Christmas with out the Cutouts!
I love decorating the cutout cookies the best. I do several different colors of frosting and I can't begin to tell you how many jars of different colored sparkle and accessories I have to make them look FABULOUS! The trees have to be trimmed just so and the snowmen have eyes,noses and buttons down their fronts. My husband gets frustrated because he just wants to slap the frosting on and be done with it, "after all we're just gonna eat the damn things!" but that's not the way it's done in my house. Don't tell my husband but he is right, we are just gonna eat the damn things but it's so much fun decorating them before you eat them.

Then there is the candy. I used to make a lot of this when I and my kids were both younger. I would make Divinity, Nougat, Fudge, Peanut Brittle, Caramel Corn, and Almond Bark Pretzels. Now adays I only make homemade peanut brittle and fudge and if my Hubby is really lucky, I might do a batch of the Almond Bark Pretzels which are his favorites.

I was never satisfied with one batch of these cookies and candies, oh no, I had to make double batches. I would put some out to be ate right away and put some in the freezer thinking we would still have some when Christmas came. Right? Wrong! Not in my house there wasn't! Even now with all the kids grown and gone and just me and the hubby. I do the same thing and think there will be some by Christmas time. Wrong! I think there are little elves living in my house that come in at night and eat these cookies while I am sleeping.

Of course the doctor did ask my hubby yesterday if he was putting on a couple LBs so maybe I should start calling him Santa's little helper?

1 comment:

Carrin said...

Maybe it's that mouse you let live with you that is eating all the cookies!