Thursday, July 24, 2008

FORE!!!!

Par 4, 18th hole, water hazard, putter. 5 iron. I know these are all golf terms but other than that they mean very little to me and I tend to like it like that. I did take a few lessons and was even on a league for one summer, so I have tried it. I have never understood the thrill people get from hitting (or in my case missing) a tiny white ball several yards only to walk after it just to hit it again. Then if you hit it into the sand you have to rake the sand once you get out. If I want to rake, I'll stay home and work in my own yard, not someone elses! Occasionally you might hit the ball into the tall grass, trees or if you're really unlucky, the water. Then you can spend time looking for it or having to start over with a new ball because you've lost it. The only fun part of golfing was driving the golf cart and having the beverage cart come through with refreshments.
George on the other hand is a die hard golf lover and as I write this, is off playing with Rick and Pete. They have formed an unofficial every other Thursday night golf outing this summer (as long as it doesn't rain) and play a different course each week. It replaces their Thursday night bowling and gives them an excuse to go out to the bar ofterwards. I don't begrudge him this and as long as he doesn't bug me to do it I say "Go for it!" Someday maybe when I retire and don't have anything else to do, I'll have George teach me how to golf. I might have more patience for it then. Right now I just don't see the sense in it.

No comments: