Monday, January 26, 2009

Fight Like a Girl

At 6 years old I was playing dolls with my friends. Having tea parties and playing make believe with my moms old dresses and shoes. Not so with Sydney Jo, my 6 year old grand daughter. She likes these things too, don't get me wrong, but she also likes to fight.



Fight, you say, that's just plain wrong! Before you all get your knickers in a bunch thinking her parents have her in the extreme fight club and pimp her out for money, let me explain.



She takes Karate lessons. And she's good at it! It teaches her discipline and
strength. We went to watch her try for her yellow belt Saturday. She had to do a series of different moves as they were called out to her from her instructor in front of a room full of people. Now remember, she's 6 and he didn't just call off one at a time and let her think about it. He rattled off several, then when she completed those told her to turn and repeat them the opposite way. This takes concentration and at 6 years old that's hard to do.

The whole exercise took about 15 minutes and she did very well. Then she was presented with a certificate and her yellow belt. You couldn't wipe the smile off her face. Now she trains again before she can try for the next belt. I think she gets her high yellow or maybe she just gets her green belt.

Sadie is also taking Karate lessons but isn't ready to test for her belt yet. It's just a matter of time though. Sailor isn't old enough to start yet but is already mimicking her sister's moves and can't wait to get out there and start busting a move.

I can tell you one thing for sure, I wouldn't want to meet any one of these girls in a dark alley once they've mastered their lessons. They may fight like a girl but they'll clean your clock!

3 comments:

Jane! said...

great skills for a girl to have - especially in about 10 years.
karate on!

Debbie said...

I wish I had put my kids in karate.

binks said...

I love hearing that girls are learning to kick some arse!

Oh and concentration and discipline, those are good too.