Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pleasing Miss Daisy

I Used to Think....

I had to please everybody.

When I was younger I tried very hard to be the daughter my parents wanted but I wasn't very good at it. I disappointed them time after time. I saw it when I got bad grades, when I got sent home from school for causing trouble, when I hung around with kids they told me not to and finally when I got pregnant.

As I got older and married, I tried to be the wife I thought I was supposed to be. I cooked homemade bread, cookies and candies. Made the kids clothes. Hosted family dinners and birthday parties for the kids. Learned how t fish and let him buy a boat. If he didn't like the color of my hair I changed it. If he didn't like the length, I cut it. If he told me I was fat, I didn't eat. I did whatever I thought a good wife was suppose to do. Obviously this didn't work out either because my husband left me for another woman.

I tried to please the people at work. Putting in my 40 hours and then some because I was a single parent now. I did whatever they asked and I would even volunteer things. I loved the computer (still do as you can see) and helped create and write a program to do the staffing for the hospital. Once this was done and I helped train people in how to work the program, they fired my ass! They called it eliminating my job due to having the computer program to do it. So I just finessed myself out of a job!! Terrific!

I then went through a phase where I tried to please the guys I was dating but that didn't work out so great either so I gave up on dating altogether and just concentrated on putting my life back on track. I did this, met Hubbs, got married and am finally very happy because I finally figured out that the only person I have to please is ME! (and once in a while Hubbs).

Now head over to Mamakat's to see who else used to.... and what they used to do.

6 comments:

April said...

Glad you learned how to 'please yourself'. LOL. I am glad that you are happy now.

Carrin said...

Do you have any idea how tramatic it is for a daughter to her that her mother has learned how to Please Herself?

The most important relationship we have is with ourselves. It took me a while to learn that!

Cupcake Dessert said...

taking care of ourselves is top on our to-do list!!!

Debbie said...

That is a valuable life lesson and a wonderful place to be! Good for you.

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy said...

Wonderfully written. Wonderfully said.

Jane! said...

Good for you! I wonder why that song keeps going through my head '... can't please everyone so you got to please yourself'
It pays to remember that, huh?