Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Barter Up!

To Heck with the Government Programs! My sister in law Sally has come up with one that is Soooo..... much better that if word gets out everyone will want to participate!
Every year we plant a HUGE garden and there is always more produce than Hubbs and I can ever use or eat. Even freezing and canning we have excess, so we have offered our garden up to my mother in law and to my sister in law. Telling them to come down and help them selves.

This week we told Sally to come down and take whatever was left of our green beans after we had taken our fill. She picked what she wanted (hopefully everything that was left- I haven't looked yet) and took them home. Later she emailed me on Facebook- yes I do that too- and informed me she was starting her own barter program. Veggies for Bread.

Sally makes the best homemade breads! All different kinds, shapes and sizes and varieties and I love homemade bread. The problem is working full time I never make it. I once laughing told Sally I should hire her to be my baker. Now we are exchanging services. I give her the vegetables she doesn't have the garden space to grow and she provides the bread I don't have the time to bake.

How cool is that? We should do more of this more often. No money involved or needed. Simply an even exchange of goods and services.

The good old fashioned Barter System. Hmmm... I think they used to do this back in the old days and then we had something they called PROGRESS??????

Let me see... people are losing their homes, gas prices are up, we can't afford squat, and unemployment is running wild... Yeah I'd say that's progress. I vote we go back to doing things the old fashioned way.

3 comments:

April said...

AMEN to that!

Debbie said...

Sheri,
I think someone has gotten into your account and hijacked it. I got a very suspicious email from "you". Contact me and I'll give you the details.

binks said...

Ditto on the hi-jacked email.
I know I haven't been around much, and would help out in a pinch, but this was a little strange.